Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cloaked in Dust

Storms have always got me excited.  I think it's because I grew up on a farm and as kids we used to sit with Dad out on the back patio and watch them roll in, all the while hoping they would bring bucket loads of rain.

Well, today I discovered any kind of storm will get my adrenalin going, including a dust storm.  Admittedly not much happens in this town and this was big news all over the country.  I saw it in Sydney on Twitter as soon as I woke up and then followed it all day as it moved to the Gold Coast and then Brisbane.  I was eagerly checking the windows every couple of minutes and when what looked like a smokey horizon started to get heavier, I put the kids in the car and we drove to the highest spot in town (actually I could have walked, it's two streets up the hill from here!) to get a bird's eye view.


It was coming!

Then as the sky started to get dustier, I decided to take a series of photos from the highest spot in our yard every few minutes until my eyes started stinging too much to go out anymore. (Please ignore the roof, we are in a 'renovator' and new roof is on the list!!)








Meanwhile I was snapping away, through the glass doors, the view from the front of the house over the town.






Then finally I snapped this pretty cool picture of the sun...looks more like the moon, don't you think?




Well, that was my day of excitement.  What was your dust storm experience?  Or did you even hear about it??



No comments:

Post a Comment